Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Five Star Review from Eric Lahti

This book. So much awesome!

I really can’t say enough good things about Eric Lahti’s work. His HENCHMEN series is so fun! GREETINGS FROM SUNNY ALUNA is such a brilliant mix of hard-boiled detective noir and urban fantasy and Chinese wuxia that I want to steal it and try to pass it off as my own.

Plagiarism is wrong, kids, and I would never do that. Still, this book . . . so awesome!

It’s even better when you manage to impress someone like Lahti with your own writing. Even though I was sick over Memorial weekend, and remain sick this morning, I’m a little more floaty from reading his review. I assure you, it’s not all the drugs:

Steampunk was never really my bag. It’s far too easy to fall into the trap of detailed explanations of how clockwork and steam power and mold the world. At some point in some Steampunk stories, the tech gets advanced enough that you find yourself reading about how tiny switches bring intelligence to artificial creations. When that happens, I often wonder why the hell the author didn’t just write a cyberpunk story and call it good. Maybe it’s the lusty allure of pocketwatches and good old-fashioned steam-powered cars. You know, all the stuff we see every day, only run by analog water vapor.

Those are the stories where it’s obvious the author was just trying to cash in on the steampunk genre rather than adding something unique to it.

I’m pleased to say The Clockwork Detective doesn’t fall into that trap. There are a few descriptions of a steam-powered world – Aubrey’s leg, the dirgibles that plow the skies like iron ships across an ocean of air – but mostly R.A. McCandless just lets the story be the story. As a result, it’s not the tedious read that some Steampunk falls into.

You haven’t even gotten to the best line, yet!

Let me know what your favorite part of the story is in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment