Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dusty Pages: Meet A Writer Monday



The following is an excerpt from my interview at Dusty Pages:

1. Tell me about your book Tears of Heaven and where you got your inspiration for it?

This volcano has no relation to this article.  It's just cool.
In the distant past, the children of angels and humans, the Nephilim, were allowed to lead their lives as they willed. But they proved too strong, too ambitious, and too cunning for their own good. They became warlords, conquerors and emperors. They caused war and strife. Then the Throne stepped in and forced them to submit to Its will, or die. Many died. Unlike most of her fellows, Del, one of the first Nephilim, had no interest in conquest and domination. But she is still forced to live under the Throne’s interdiction. Tears of Heaven explores both Del’s ancient past and her present in the modern world.

The inspiration came when I was re-reading some Lovecraft, and became interested in demons. I didn’t want to raise any or sit down and have a chat about my soul. I was curious what lore existed about them, if there were classifications and what the mythos really said. I started doing some research into the topic, and stumbled across the Biblical passage about Nephilim, the half-divine and half-human offspring of angels. I’d wanted to write about a strong, female character in a supernatural setting, and the pieces all fell together.

2. Do you admire your own work?

Sometimes I get an idea for a single scene, or an emotional description, or maybe dialogue that I consider clever and witty. That’s when I enjoy my own work. I like almost all of my characters, the heroes and the villains, but I never know how they will translate to an audience. It’s always exciting when a beta reader comes back and says, “I love Del!” or “Orion is such a badass!” That’s when I feel like I’ve done my job well.

3. Do you enjoy giving interviews?

Absolutely. My favorite thing in the world to talk about is writing, and most especially my writing. If I ever get the standard Rich & Famous contract, interviews might start being tedious. For now, anyone interested in writing or me is someone I want to talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment