Monday, December 3, 2018

Growing Up—But Not Just Yet

Definitely not Satan.

Last night, as the end credits for The Christmas Chronicles rolled, my oldest (11yo) piped up.

“Mom, how long is your period?”

I blinked.

I did not look at my wife.

I did not look at my son.

My wife did not respond.

I didn’t respond.

I knew my son was growing up, and that things of this nature would inevitably happen. I didn’t know they would happen so soon.  On the one hand, I was shocked he was already aware of this. On the other, I was a little shocked that we’d managed to create an environment where he felt comfortable asking this kind of question.

On the that last part, I was both a little impressed and a little concerned. I want my boys to be able to come to me with anything. Facts are always better than guesses and urban legend. Much better to bite the bullet, and just have “the talk” even if that’s a conversation which takes place over the next ten years.

“You could show this to your class,” my son continued.

What? I wondered in my head.

“What?” my wife echoed my thought aloud.

“If you class period is long enough, you could show them this movie.”

My wife and I both died laughing.

What’s your funniest misunderstanding? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment