Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Pooh On You Too!


I see it's been awhile . . . Mr. The Pooh.
A couple of years back, I ran across a piece of “Calvin & Hobbes” fan-fiction that really got me—it got to me enough that I re-worked it for my own edification.  Either I’m getting older and all nostalgic, or the impact of a beloved character is truly impressive.

Maybe both.

I took my boys to see A Wrinkle in Time and I’m not going to offer any opinions on the movie just yet.  But as we were watching the various trailers that accompanied the film, one started that I thought for certain was Mary Poppins Returns.

It was not.

It was this trailer for Christopher Robin:



Winne-the-Pooh appears for, maybe, ten seconds in the entire trailer, but DAYUM if that wasn’t enough for me.

Pooh and I go back quite a ways.  Not as much as Christopher Robin, but he was certainly there when I was a babe-in-arms.  As my mother tells it, I was being quite a handful at the local theater in Hawthorne, NV.  The unique thing about this particular theater is they had built in a “cry room” for parents with children such as me.  My mother can probably tell you what movie they were there to see.  I was less than one at the time, so my own thoughts are a bit . . . vague.  Still, as my mother tells it, the short “Winne the Pooh and Tigger Too” came on, and I was immediately hooked.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a strong affinity for A.A. Milne’s character, but I certainly can relate to him, and his various adventures.  Seeing a grown-up Christopher Robin, played by the excellent Ewan McGregor, who is only a few years older than me, is . . . yeah.

Let’s put it this way: I don’t know why theaters can’t keep invisible, onion-cutting ninjas out, but they had all massed near my seat.

Well done, Mr. Milne.  Well done, Mr. Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment