Tuesday, October 18, 2016

High School for Me!

High school, BAYBAY!
Here are the instructions I received:

“Tell us about your SENIOR year of high school! The longer ago it was, the more fun the answers will be!”

I’m not certain why “longer ago” equates to “more fun” but I’m a giver, so here we go.

The year was: 1992

1. Did you know your spouse?

Nope.  Although, we were in the same state at the time.

2. Did you car pool?

Yes, sometimes with my buddy Dennis, especially when my car wasn’t running so great.  Dennis owned a Chevy C10,

3. What kind of car did you have?

I had a1964 International Scout.  My dad and I had rebuilt the engine and I believe this is when the transmission started having trouble.  I remember taking it out and putting it back in several times.

4. Friday night football?

I’m sure we had a team, but I knew nothing about it.  I’m not even certain if I knew anyone who played.

5. What kind of job did you have?

I worked for a brief time at a micro-sprinkler assembly line.  We put the parts into the plastic boxes and whatnot for shipping to stores.  We were terrible at it.

6. Were you a party animal!

I played a lot of basketball and “ward ball” but I didn’t even know there were parties.

7. Were you considered a jock?

Never.  Even when I played on several sports teams in Battle Mountain, I was a pretty well-established as a nerd.  When we moved to Bountiful I didn’t go out for any sports.  I did, somehow, manage to be on the speech/debate team.

8. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir?

No.

9. Were you nerd?

As much as those things actually existed in my high school, yes.  Cliches at Bountiful High weren’t nearly as pervasive as they had been in Battle Mountain.  I wasn’t cool, but no one really bothered me about who I was.

10. Did you get suspended or expelled?

Never.  I did get called into a vice-principals office for my number of absences.  They wanted me to attend some kind of weekend school.  My dad went in with me, and pointed out that he had no problem with me attending the class, but he wasn’t going to pay for it, especially when I was an honor student.  The vice-principal agreed and I didn’t have to attend.

11. Can you sing the fight song?

If we had one, I didn’t know it.

12. Where did you eat lunch?

It would depend.  We had an open campus, so I could go anywhere with anyone during lunch.  A lot of times I would just go home.  I arranged my schedule so that my lunch and a “free period” were back-to-back, which meant I could watch TV, do homework, etc. for about two hours of lunch.  Sometimes, I would just grab a Dr Pepper and a Grandma’s Cookies for lunch and eat it in the library.

13. What was your full school name?

Bountiful High School.

14. What was your school mascot?

I had to look it up to be certain.  We were the “Bountiful Braves” so our mascot was “Braves”.  Sorry about that.

15. If you could go back and do it again would you?

Oh yeah.  Moving back to Bountiful was one of the best things that my parents ever did for me.  It was secondary, as we were moving for a job, but going back was great.  I was able to get into Advanced Placement and honors courses, things that didn’t exist in Battle Mountain, and I took my first speech/debate class which pretty much warped the rest of my life.

16. Did you have fun at Senior prom?

It was ok.  I wasn’t dating anyone, and didn’t really know how to date.  I took one of the smartest girls in the school, and we had a decent time, but we didn’t click.  We started the evening going to a screening of “Casablanca”, my favorite movie, which was awesome for me.  I think she enjoyed it too.  Mostly, we just talked about stuff, danced a few times, but there was nothing there.

17. Do you still talk to the person you went to prom with?

No.  High school was all we had in common.

18. Are you planning on going to your next high school reunion?

Yes, but probably not the Bountiful one.  I was invited to the 20 year for Battle Mountain high.  Even though I didn’t graduate there, I have more in common with those folk.  I wasn’t able to attend for scheduling reasons, but my good friend Ed did, and had a great time.

19. Are you still in contact with people from high school?

A few.  Facebook has allowed me to be in touch with some of them, and some have actually sought me out (which is always a good feeling).

Interesting Trivia from 1992: Bush and Yeltsin proclaim a formal end to the Cold War (Feb. 1). Czechoslovak Parliament approves separation into two nations (Nov. 25).  Four officers acquitted in Los Angeles beating of Rodney King; violence erupts in Los Angeles (April 29 et seq.).

Top Music of 1992: “Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix-a-Lot, “Jump” by Kris Kross, “Tears in Heaven” by Eric Clapton” and “End of the Road” by Boyz II Men.


Top Movies of 1992: “Aladdin”, “Home Alone 2: Lost in New York”, “Batman Returns”, “Lethal Weapon 3” and “A Few Good Men”.

No comments:

Post a Comment