Thursday, August 20, 2020

Rob's Mini-Movie Reviews

Movies. I LOVE movies. There's not much I'd rather be doing than watching a movie. There are

Yippie-ki-yi-yay.
a couple of things, but they are few and far between.

When I was younger, I loved the theater-going experience. I couldn’t always afford that, but my college roommate and I would spend what little hard cash we had on renting videos. That’s right, kids. Back in the old days, we had to actually go to a bricks-and-mortar store and browse a limited selection of VHS cassette movies.

The only think I enjoy slightly more than watching movies is talking about movies with other people.

That wasn’t always the case, but has started to become so again.

Online discussion groups ruined that for me for a long time. It seemed to me that if you didn’t absolutely hate everything, and deride all the little mistakes made by a movie, then you just weren’t in any position to discuss them.

I even bought into that for a little while, and I really started to hate talking about movies. I refused to talk about movies with anyone but close friends and family.

But today, I’ve found a nice set of rules that allow me to talk about the movies and television shows that I watch AND ENJOY, and over the last year or two I’ve been sharing again.  The rules are pretty simple: 

1 – Unless I’m asked a specific question, I don’t argue.

Even though this is IX
She's definitely an X!
That’s it. I post up my mini-reviews about whatever latest and greatest entertainment that I’ve watched. People are free to comment on their love or hate or apathy. They can even argue amongst themselves. My opinion has already been given. I might feel a twinge to defend it, but why?  What’s the point? If someone really, truly, madly, passionately cares that I loved Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker they’re probably going to reach out to me to discuss it.

That has happened.

I'm thinking of gathering my mini-reviews and posting them here in a weekly round-up on Fridays. That way, should my opinion hold any sway for you, you can easily peruse the list and determine your entertainment for the weekends.

All that said, if follow me on Twitter or Facebook—and you should—and you read one of my mini-reviews, absolutely share your own opinion. Just don’t be upset when I don’t respond.

What movie do you want me to review next?
Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment