Monday, October 8, 2018

Covers and Cover Artists

Where the HELL is she looking?

A long time ago, perhaps as long as two years, I was working with a cover artist for a new version of Tears of Heaven.  Working with is a bit of a stretch. I communicated through someone else to the artist.

The less said about that, the better.

One of the problems with this was that the artist kept insisting on putting religious icons and tattoos on Del.  A cross necklace, for example, didn’t make sense.  Del doesn’t have to believe in a higher power—she interacts with them all the time. That higher power didn't discriminate with a single set of religious beliefs.  

The tattoos were a little different. I don’t mind tattoos myself, I have two, but the artist kept putting one of a demon on Del’s arm.

A demon!?

Why a demon?  Why would a demon hunter put a demon on her arm? Especially when the demons all looked beautiful (at least to start).

Was she trying to remind herself of how silly mortals are about their fears?
Yep.  I still hate it.

Since I was working through someone else, we never got to have that conversation. I'm sure I came off as a prima dona about the cover art.  The less said about the bullet bandolier, also the better. 

I’d keep telling him (through the intermediary) to take the tattoo off. One version it would be gone, and the next it was back.  There were other issues—as you can see on both the draft version and the final.  The whole process was something of a horrible fight.

In the end, I realized that it was never going to get any better.  I never liked the final version of the cover.  I do not blame the artist.

I mention all this because working on the new cover has been a dream. There’s no comparing the process between the two. I’m looking forward to the final product and I'm excited to share it with everyone!

Maybe I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.

What would you like to see on a Del cover?  Let me know in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. NOT shooting two guns at once.
    Better shooting posture, if she must be shooting.
    Attire fitting the time that she is in, and not a tank top. A local sports team T-shirt or similar, though not specific enough to need permission - maybe a jersey with numbers and no logos. Then semi covered by an open jacket or "overshirt". Holsters, if seen at all, should be mostly covered.
    Title and author's name NOT printed in such a ridiculous font.
    Any others in the art should be actual characters from the book.
    Injury and/or scars, plus blood and tears on the clothing.

    Just my thoughts. Take them or leave them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I didn't mean changes in the current cover, but more of what you'd like to see. I agree with almost all of this, and almost all of it will be addressed in the new cover! :D

      Delete