Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Cool, Clear, Water

Quaff, is the proper term.
About two years ago, my wife and I went to a water conservation event put on by the local news channel.  I don’t remember what it was.  They had some reusable shopping bags filled with the usual fare—pamphlets advertising various business, cheap flashlights, and a water bottle.

My wife got one.

I did not.

I figured we’d end up throwing most of it away anyhow, and we have a ton of leaky water bottlers we already don’t use.

Once again, I was wrong.

Sexy Hydro Flask, rocking the purple fishnets!
The water bottle turned out to be a high quality, double-walled, vacuum insulated number.  It was only 18-20 ounces, but still it was an impressive piece of equipment to toss in as an attendance freebie.  I knew, from my honors physics class years and years ago that vacuum insulated thermos was the best.  I’d never actually ponied up for one, so this was my first experience.

Fill it up with ice, add water, and the ice will stay frozen almost the whole day.

No, seriously.

There was some loss of ice, but because the double-wall with the vacuum between, there was almost no change in the temperature inside the bottle.  I tried to look up the term for this, but didn’t find it.  I’m sure someone else can tell me.  That would be great.


Anyhow, long story short, my wife had an excellent water bottle, and like a sucker I was still using a Nalgene bottle from 1990s!  A year ago, I traded my Nalgene in for a 1 liter Hydro Flask . . . which my wife quickly co-opted.  It had a handle and carried more water, so naturally it had to be hers.  Last week, on Prime Day, I picked up another hydro Flask for myself.  My only complaint is that they don’t offer a small mouth lid, and the humangear versions don’t work with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment