Monday, June 17, 2019

Five Honest Stars

But if my author is a hot mess, why aren't I?

This review of THE CLOCKWORK DETECTIVE made me laugh and made my morning.  I love the honesty of it all, and she gave me five stars. So I’ve got that going for me.  Which is nice.

The usual caveat applies - Netgalley, free copy, blah blah.

I must admit I was a little surprised by this book. It really sounds like the author has chucked everything but the kitchen sink in, given it a stir, and hoped for the best. There's obvious steampunk (clockwork leg, airships, all the usual suspects), mythical beings in the form of centaurs of the Fae, druids, and a whodunnit!

It really should be a hot mess.

But, somehow, against all odds, it's really quite engaging. It clips along at a good pace, the secondary characters are as well-drawn as the main ones, and it was altogether an enjoyable read.

It's unashamedly 'first in a series', but still holds up well. I look forward to reading the next one.

She isn’t too far off either. I transfer all “hot messes” into my life, in exchange for a piece of my soul.  Thanks Joanne!


On a scale of 1 to 10, how hot of a mess am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment